What is Barre?
Maybe you’ve seen the word printed in some magazines lately or scrolled past a few Pinterest posts, either way, the word Barre is gaining buzz. So what is it?
There’s a variety of Barre classes, but they all stem from the same structure built from ballet and Pilates. The idea is to build lean, long muscles similar to dancers.
Barre workouts are designed to work your muscle to their limit. As in, you’ll feel the burn! It’s a good kind of burn.. the kind that makes you want to hop into your skinny jeans.
Here’s a few things to remember:
1. Don’t be nervous! Everyone had their first class at one point or another. Get excited that you are branching out and trying something new. If you are worried about it being too difficult, don’t sweat it (pun intended), most instructors will offer modifications. They will set you up with the move then offer an advanced step. If you are feeling comfortable, take the challenge! If you don’t think you can, try it next week.
2. No shoes allowed! These types of classes normally don’t allow shoes. Most places you’ll have the option of wearing socks or going barefoot. H2L Studio has some Sticky Be socks for purchase if you desire, but we are okay with whichever socks you bring!
3. Each person is different! You may not be able to touch your toes or take your piles as low, your body might be built a little differently. Don’t focus on others, focus on yourself! Think about your breathing, your posture and try to relax your mind, this time is for you.
4. Embrace the shake! As an instructor I find myself saying this line, even though I swore I never would. You truly want to embrace it, it means you are working your muscles harder than you ever have, you’re pushing your limits and that’s something to be proud of.
5. No matter what shape you are in, you’ll survive! That is the beauty of a Barre Class, it can meet every level. We will offer modifications or challenges, the choice to take them is yours. If that little weight gets too heavy, put it down. The best part is you’ll leave feeling great and hungry for more.
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to us. We want you to feel at ease and most importantly, excited. We are happy to have you anytime, so, meet me at the Barre!