Thank you, Deborah! That is a question we get ALL THE TIME. We love them both. And, we think you will too!
– Yoga a couple thousand years old and comes out of southern Asia, there are many styles, Ash Tonga, Kundalini, Bikram, Yen, Vinyasa, which we teach here at the studio.
– Developed by Joseph Pilates from Germany to the US early 1960’s (Big with Yoga, smaller with Pilates)
Mind Body Spirit Connection–
– An emphasis on breath and patterns of movements within both
– Downward dog in Yoga and exercise sequences in Pilates
-Yoga- Pranayama, breath study branch
– Pilates- Breathe first and then once familiar link breath to the movements
– Yoga: hold posture
– Pilates: no holding, low reps 3-5-8, not static or staying, 3 best of ability and then move on
Equipment- biggest difference
– Yoga- blocks, straps, bolsters
– Pilates Reformer- chairs, tower ends, bosus, reformers
– Gain stretch, strength and stamina
– One practice will benefit the other one and they are FUN!